Blurry. Right?
This is the time of year when the lines begin to blur- we have a little over three months left before summer and yet dreaming and planning and worrying about the next year whispers softly that the future is coming, ready or not! With this in mind, I think about how I can help ease both the overwhelm and anticipation. And I remember that knowledge and information are powerful and can make us feel calm. Things that always freaked me out as a teacher still do as a school leader-- what will my daily schedule look like? When will I have PE? Who will I teach with? What will our staff meetings look like? What do I need to get ready so I don’t have to work ALL summer?
In some ways, thankfully, we have begun to at least think about these things for next year as we’ve discussed as a site, and as a district, in big ideas, some changes that are ahead with regards to instruction-- small group for all and the need for differentiation blocks during the day. At the moment, our staffing is complete although we still may grow! And we have started the conversation around year-long planning that provides grade level teams the opportunity to work together, to work smarter, not harder, and to provide all students with an amazing and common experience at each grade level.
In other ways, we have some big rocks to move. Our bell schedule needs some changes to improve safety and supervision while providing time for instructional blocks that meet the needs of all students. Which impacts PE. And music. And lunch. And recess. So many rocks it may feel like a rockslide! Not really- more like controlled chaos. And an opportunity to get creative!
As a site leader, there are so many decisions to be made, and I try to seek your input as often as I can. When I can’t, I will let you know and will be as transparent as I can be with regards to the outcome. And any leader knows that not all decisions make everyone happy. However, I do know that the more we can involve everyone in the process, the more likely we can move forward successfully together. The first year is always hard as a principal-- and it’s challenging to share the leadership when everything is new. What am I doing? People, dynamics, curriculum, and more-- the learning curve is steep. My goal has been to work hard, stay positive, learn as much as I can, say yes as much as possible, and to support everyone who needs me as best I can. I have made mistakes and learned a lot. But our path forward is clearer. Not as blurry. We are ready to focus!
I haven’t figured everything out (do we ever?) but I feel sure enough on my feet to know that our road forward must be paved together. To start, this Wednesday I’m going to ask you to bring your creativity to our 2018-19 bell schedule! I’ve outlined some pieces that need to be in place, but the rest is a blank slate and I’ll be asking you to work in grade level teams to come up with something new. Rethink lunches, recess, even PE and music. At the end of the meeting we should have 6 stabs in the dark to work from and to consider. I know that the best ideas are most often not my own.
In addition to bell schedules, I’d like to involve a small team in help with planning PD and staff meetings for 2018-19, starting this year. This will be voluntary and we will meet once or twice a month for the remainder of this year and next year to consider our site needs, district initiatives, and the format and content for our site PD next year. Ideally, this team of no more than 8 would have a representative from each grade level. Together, we will seek feedback from our whole staff and work together to plan out the remainder of this next year. This team would not necessarily present/lead at all meetings but rather plan how to move forward and invite others to share so that we all can learn and grow. Whether you have been at Stoneridge since the beginning, or are new on the scene, I invite you to apply to be a part of our team! To submit your interest in being part of the Stoneridge PD team, please complete the Google form below. I look forward to learning and leading alongside you as we move through the blur and find FOCUS!
Stoneridge PD team interest (please submit by 3/9)
Please let me know if you have questions--and we can find a time to connect in person. I appreciate and need your feedback and conversation!
Staff Meeting Dates & Agendas Feb-June - click to access
Dates & Details Doc Click here to open the doc directly to access links

No comments:
Post a Comment