Back to School Night year will be on Tuesday August 16th. I am working with Marc on the time. It will either be 4:30-5:30 or 5-6. I will let everyone know including our parents before this school year ends.
| Jen Kloczko providing writing training on Monday. |
Follow Up from the Staff Meeting Notes
-Volunteer Celebration May 26th after school in the multi, thank you Kim for heading this up again this year.
-We will do Articulation on Monday June 6th during PLC time
-Sometime over the next few weeks in PLC take a look at the Math Non-negotiables
Math Non-negotiables
-If you need any help with forms ever whether it is for a survey or just something for your class let me know. Below is the template (make sure to make a copy first) and also a so exciting instructional video.
Forms Video
-Teachers please remember to take a minute to fill out this form that I spoke about at the staff meeting. The form will close on May 6th. Once again it can be a parent or a spouse. Thanks!
Staff appreciation form for special person
| True love of reading right here from Shannon, reading in the dark before school starts. |
Writing Training Available in the Summer
Once again I will just keep everyone in the loop about summer PD opportunities just in case you are interested in going. I have heard nothing but great things about these writing trainings. If anyone would like to attend a writing training this summer below are some options. Just let me know and we will get you registered.
Area 3 Writing Project Summer Programs
Writing and the California State Standards (Grades TK-1)
July 27-29, 2016
Writing Puzzle: Fitting the Pieces Together (Grades 3-8)
June 20-22, 2016
Unleashing the Power of Digital Writing
(Grades TK-5)
June 27-29, 2016
Location: Natomas Charter School
| Having fun with Osmos and Principal for the day in Mrs. DeLeo's class |
A Look at the Week Ahead
5/2
5/3
5/4 PTC Meeting 3:30-4:30. We will go over PTC budget for next year.
5/5 There is a staff happy hour on the calendar, I will let Shannon reach out to everyone on that.
5/6 Carnival 5-8. There is a very real possibility of rain and we are working on a backup plan if it does. I will let you all know.
| Working hard in Mrs. Robertson's class. |
Interesting Articles I Read This Week
Ron Clark Academy Video- I have shared a different video before on the Ron Clark Academy. I would love a two story slide and bungee here, so much fun and so much passion there. Not to mention all the songs, music and dancing.
Goodbye Comfort Zone Hello Robotics- Blog post from a teacher at Natomas doing PLTW for the first time. I'm sure many of you can relate.
A Teacher's Defense of Homework- The Atlantic- Trying to provide balance on the HW discussion however even this author notes that it is really only beneficial for older students.
Math Achievement Gap Solutions- Seattle Global List- Great news kids! PISA (The Program for International Student Assessment) conducted a survey of 13 million students to study the relationships between homework, achievement and equity, and found that homework is inherently inequitable, and that it “didn’t seem to raise achievement for students.”
“This is not an isolated finding; academic research has consistently found homework to either negatively affect or not affect achievement,” Boaler wrote. “If you want to retain a homework, then I recommend changing the nature homework,” Boaler suggests. “Instead of giving questions students need to answer in a performance orientation, give reflection questions to encourage students to think back on mathematics lesson and focus on the big ideas.”
No comments:
Post a Comment